Stage one complete

The cleaners have finished the basic cleaning of the theatre. They sign off tomorrow morning. Then early January the scaffolding (which fills the auditorium giving access to walls and ceiling) will be removed and hopefully the firm who are to clean the seats will be able to give me a slot. I know that they are busy with work on Anglesey cleanng up after flooding, but if they can manage to get to me by late January there is a good chance I can be open for the February half term.

The curtains have been cleaned and so can be re-hung. The doors need finishing and there’s quite a bit of electrical work, but it all seems more possible now that the main cleaning has been achieved. The only problem could be the seat cleaning, but the firm have promised to do their utmost to get to me sometime in January.

I am feeling much more optimistic, partly because of the possibility of a theatre re-opening in sight, but also because this week I have been busy with Christmas shows in Nurseries and Primary Schools and the the children’s excitement is infectious. It’s one of the joys a children’s performer shares with the parents of the  young,  to be able to enjoy Christmas through the eyes of the children.

Next day, Friday

The cleaners were back this morning and we had a walk round inspecting what had been done. It really is impressive what they have achieved in a couple of days. The auditorium is much brighter for not only have the smoke webs and soot stains been removed, but also the discolouration of the years of nicotine contamination. Smoking was allowed, and normal, in the early days of the theatre.

Even backstage where access was very limited due to the clutter they have achieved marvels.

I can’t post any pictures of their work because the scaffolding is still in situ – but I’m impressed.

The cleaning team as well as being obviously experienced and hard working were all, without exception, nice lads and obviously cared about the work they were doing. They’ve certainly given me a nice Christmas present in that I can now see a bit of light.

In case I don’t add anything in the next few days I will wish you all a Very Merry Christmas and a Happy, Healthy and Peaceful 2018.

4 thoughts on “Stage one complete”

  1. Glad to hear that there’s finally progress and that you’re feeling more positive. I seem to remember Eric telling me that the auditorium murals, which he painted at night when the builders had left, were done with poster paint and that if you licked your finger and ran it over them the paint would come off! I don’t know if he was joking, but I hope they have survived smoke damage and will survive any cleaning they need.

  2. Yes Simon, the murals were painted in the couple of weeks before opening, and during the night when Eric could progress without being constantly interupted by the builders. He used poster paint which is water based as you know. This, or some other form of tempera paint, is a usual medium for painting on plaster. This is then sealed with a coat of varnish when it becomes water-tight. However you must not varnish on new plaster for at least 6 months since the plaster is slowly drying out. I’m afraid that 6 months became 6 years and Eric never got round to it. Next year it will be 60 years.
    So yes, if you licked your finger you could easily smear one of the murals. For that reason the cleaners could not use any liquid cleaner. They used what is known as a soot sponge – vulcanised rubber – and this is used dry but is brilliant at removing surface dirt by a sort of suction or attraction process. Considering their age and amount of damage the murals have come up very well indeed.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *